DJAD commenced in 2004 to a felt need in the country. There is also a great potential in offering design services from India to Multi National Companies and overseas clients. India can emerge as a ‘Design hub” in the Asian region. But – Where are the designers?
As we all know, India is poised to be the world’s major Business Process Out Source. But, it does not produce sufficient number of trained designers presently. We produce a small number of design graduates annually compared to over 3.5 lakh engineering graduates. We have a demand from over 250 sectors of industries which need design service, not to mention the vast craft sector. The need is for at least 8000 – 10000 qualified designers per year. If we compare India to the neighbouring Asian countries, China has around 200 design schools producing 8000 design graduates each year. While Korea, for its size, produces an impressive 36,000 designers annually. Due to lack of design schools in the country, a lot many Indian students are going abroad to study design. Taking advantage of this demand, many foreign design schools are opening up in India. In view of this demand for design training and the urgency of such highly specialized education, the DJ Academy of Design has started in Coimbatore in 2004. It is one of its kind in South India to offer Communication Design, Accessory Design and Product Design Programmes at Under Graduate and Post Graduate levels.
DJAD @ a Glance
- Founded in the year 2004
- A part of prestigious LMW Group
- Over 8 years of educational excellence
- Personalised design education
- Active Film Club where acclaimed national and international films are viewed and discussed
- Regular lectures by eminent personalities
- Professional projects taken as classroom exercises
- Students are encouraged to participate in beyond the blackboard activities
- Students are encouraged to participate in national and international design competitions
- Placement sessions & assistance
- On the job training by professional trainers